Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MS as teacher

Last week, I had a lovely lunch with Shulamit Lando, a psychotherapist and personal life coach who has had MS for the past 20 years (check out her website for some good info).  One of the most interesting things she said to me was that one of her primary focuses in working with people coping with MS and other diseases is to help them shift their perspective to realize that the disease is teaching them something and they need to learn from it rather than fighting it. Once they do that, they can begin to really change and embrace who they are now instead of fighting to hold on to who they were before they got sick.

I thought her approach was a good one, so came to the blog to write about it and found that I'd already started the post before I met with her!

In the middle of January, I had written:
Someone asked me recently how I relate to my MS. My response was that I view MS as my teacher, albeit one with awful pedagogical methods, but a teacher none the less. In every episode or symptom is the potential to learn about myself. Every aspect of MS is trying to teach me a lesson, and it's just up to me to figure out what it is. I don't know if the MS will go away when I've learned the lesson, but I know that I am much happier and centered.


MS is the motivation to move me forward in my spiritual development. I think that if I didn't have MS, I would still be working at Kinko's trying to figure out how to be a business person and not really understanding why I wasn't succeeding. With MS, I've become a healer and am really able to make a difference in people's lives.

I wrote it, saved it to be edited, and forgot about it.

It's funny how the world works sometimes. I can't figure out if God was trying to give me a clear message or if I was just in tune with the flow of energy in the Universe. In either case, it's helpful to figure out how MS can be your teacher.

I'm curious if other people view MS this way and what are the lessons they feel MS has taught them?

4 comments:

  1. I loved this! Thank you for sharing (and for quoting me)... I'll subscribe to this blog now.
    Feel well, road companion.
    Shulamit

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleasure was mine in meeting a fellow traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luchi Shulamit's motherMarch 24, 2010 at 3:57 AM

    Aaron hi! I am Shulamit's mother. There is not much I can add to your comments except to let you know how proud I am to have seen Shulamit deal with her MS during all the years when she decided to be the "owner" of her sickness, how she dwelt with every decision, doctor, treatment, and how, after all these years she is the most understanding, empatic, loving etc. to who ever is suffering, both from MS as well as other sicknesses. You are lucky to have her as a fellow traveler!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely that it's an essential step to take ownership and take charge of the MS. It allows a person to continue to live with the condition, and not be controlled by it.

    ReplyDelete